[Mailman-Users] Extracting e-mail addresses from a dead machine

Visvanath Ratnaweera ratnaweera at dplanet.ch
Wed Dec 12 21:00:16 CET 2007

Hi Mark

Ref: Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> 12.12.2007 18:16

I'm impressed by the support one gets in this list!

> Visvanath Ratnaweera wrote:
> >
> >I have the data backup from a dead machine. The list is not moved
> >to a new server (yet). Therefore I have no running system of Mailman.
> >
> >Is there a way of extracting the e-mail addresses from this (data)
> >backup?
>

> The addresses are in Mailman's lists/<listname>/config.pck file on the
> backup.  All the good ways of getting them require access to a Mailman
> installation somewhere. Since you don't have that, you are left with
> running 'strings config.pck' and sifting through the output for the
> addresses.

That defeats the original purpose. Until I get the list running
there was an urgent mail to be sent - only in case if there is a
trivial solution.

> If you did have access to a Mailman installation, you could run
> Mailman's bin/dumpdb against the config.pck which would produce output
> easier to deal with, or you could create a lists/<listname>/ directory
> in that installation, put the config.pck in it and run
> "bin/list_members -f -p <listname>"

I think better get the list working before the next "urgency" ;-(
Will come back if there is a need. Thanks a lot!

Visvanath