[Mailman-Users] mailman-2.1.9

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Dec 16 21:41:38 CET 2007

Camelia Botez wrote:

>I installed Using Mailman version 2.0.11 on solaris9 and works fine.
>Now , we are in process to replace our web server with a linux computer
>on which I installed mailman-2.1.9.
>How can I migrate all the mailing lists from the old version into the
>new one

Mailman is very good at updating lists from older versions. All you
need to do to migrate the list itself is move the
lists/<listname>/config.db files from the old installation to the new.
You need to make sure there is not already a
lists/<listname>/config.pck or config.pck.last, because if there is,
Mailman won't see the config.db. See
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2007-July/057770.html>.
Note that in that post, I say the one can run

bin/config_list -i /dev/null listname

to force 'listname' to be converted. Actually, just running
bin/list_lists is sufficient to convert all the old lists after there
config.db files have been installed. Also see the advice in that post
about removing the config.db after the list is converted.

>and how can I use the old aliases build when a new list is
>opened on the new aliases form ?

I'm not sure how your aliases are being generated, but the old aliases
are no good. After you get your lists migrated, you should be able to
run bin/genaliases to create (or at least list) the required aliases.

One final thing is archives. I recommend just moving the
archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox files from the old
server, checking them with bin/cleanarch and then building new
archives with bin/arch --wipe.

You want to have Mailman not running (bin/mailmanctl stop) during the
list migration and .mbox move process or you could lose archived
messages if posts are processed after the list exists on the new
server and before the .mbox is moved.