[Mailman-Users] no dupes across lists?

Allan Hansen hansen at rc.org
Mon Dec 17 11:52:35 CET 2007

This certainly explains the behaviour, Stephen and Brad. I had looked
through all the
options in Eudora and didn't find a way to turn off this pruning feature,
so I assumed it
to be non-existent.

As for RFC 2822, this is what it says about Message-ID. Given the
highlighted section,
I think that what you have done with Mailman (not touching the Message-ID)
is the
right thing to do. Besides, keeping Brad sane is certainly a worthy goal. :-)

Thank you all for a great program.

Allan

   The "Message-ID:" field provides a unique message identifier that
   refers to a particular version of a particular message.  The
   uniqueness of the message identifier is guaranteed by the host that
   generates it (see below).  This message identifier is intended to be
   machine readable and not necessarily meaningful to humans.  A message
   identifier pertains to exactly one instantiation of a particular
   message; subsequent revisions to the message each receive new message
   identifiers.

   Note: There are many instances when messages are "changed", but those
   changes do not constitute a new instantiation of that message, and
   therefore the message would not get a new message identifier.  For
   example, when messages are introduced into the transport system, they
   are often prepended with additional header fields such as trace
   fields (described in section 3.6.7) and resent fields (described in
   section 3.6.6).  The addition of such header fields does not change
   the identity of the message and therefore the original "Message-ID:"
   field is retained.  In all cases, it is the meaning that the sender
   of the message wishes to convey (i.e., whether this is the same
   message or a different message) that determines whether or not the
   "Message-ID:" field changes, not any particular syntactic difference
   that appears (or does not appear) in the message.

--
Allan Hansen
P.O Box 2423
hansen at rc.org