[Mailman-Users] Help a newbie out! How to list users of a specific list

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Dec 19 00:33:08 CET 2007

On 12/19/07, Lev Lafayette wrote:

>  *nods* Which requires a "screen scrape" to get a copy of membership of
>  the mailing list in text form.

You can also get a copy of the list sent to you by using the e-mail
interface.  See FAQ 3.62 at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.062.htp>.

>  Yahoo groups for example has this feature for moderators
>  (members-download). It would be especially handy for mailman managers
>  who don't have access to the command line (for example, due to
>  restrictions on their hosting service)

Mailman was not designed as a drop-in replacement for Yahoo!Groups.
See FAQ 1.26 at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.026.htp>.

It also was not designed to be used in a hosting environment.  See
FAQ 1.32 at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq01.032.htp>.

That said, we recognize that users want such features regardless,
hence the Mailman RFE page at SourceForge.  And we'll do our best to
implement the features we consider to be most important, as our time
and other resources allow.

Of course, this is a purely volunteer-supported open source project,
so if there's some feature you have a burning desire to have
implemented then the easiest way to get that into the standard code
base is for you to get (or pay) someone else to do that for you, and
then contribute that code back to our project.  Then we can look at
that code and determine whether or not it can be incorporated into an
upcoming version.