[Mailman-Users] Changing the From: address...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Dec 20 18:04:47 CET 2007

Dan Brown wrote:

>I've got a bunch of mail lists on a server which are all announcement only
>lists.
>On all of these lists the "From:" address is like how it is on the
>mailman-users list.
>It'll show up like:
>mailman-users-bounces+danb at zu.com@python.org on behalf of "Some User
>[su at wackedout.net]"
>
>Now I know everything from "on behalf of..." onward is due to my mail client
>and not the list.

That is not actually correct. The part that Microsoft Outlook (and
possibly other MUAs, but Outlook is the main one) adds is the part
after From: through 'on behalf of'. Most MUA's just show

 From: Some User <su at wackedout.net>

>I would like the emails to be showing as coming from
>either just:
>
>eg. mailman-users at python.org on behalf of "Some User [su at wackedout.net]"
>or
>eg. mailman-users-bounces at python.org on behalf of "Some User
>[su at wackedout.net]"
>
>Now while there is the "anonymous_list" option, this looks as though it will
>remove everything so it would just show up as:
>
>eg. mailman-users at python.org

Actually, I thing that making the list anonymous won't help you at all.
It will make the From header be, e.g.

(the text part is the list's 'description') instead of

From: Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>,

but the Sender will still be, e.g.,
mailman-users-bounces+dan=zu.com at python.org

>I'm unsure what to call this and the personalization options don't seem to
>be what I want either but I am playing around with a test list to figure out
>what option is the correct one to do this.

The "+recipient=example.com" part of the Sender: is a VERP like sender.
In order to remove it, you need to remove whatever mm_cfg.py options
you have set in mm_cfg.py (assuming this is your Mailman installation)
that are causing it to be added. These are things like:

VERP_PERSONALIZED_DELIVERIES = Yes  (default = No), and
VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1  (default = 0)