[Mailman-Users] separate mailman and web servers

Patrick Bogen pdbogen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 21:37:55 CET 2007

On 1/31/07, Peter Matulis <pmatulis at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Can someone explain to me how mailman and the web server can exist on
> separate machines?  I am new to mailman and I'm having a hard time
> understanding how mailman communicates with its web server.  I have a
> new client that connects to an external web server to add list members
> but mailman (and postfix) runs on a local system.

I believe this would have to work with Mailman acting upon and reading
from files that are stored in such a way that the external web server
can access them. This means:

(a) The files are stored on the Mailman server, and the web server
accesses them through something like NFS.
(b) The files are stored on the web server, and the mailman server
accesses them through something like NFS.
(c) The files are stored in a third server, and both the web server
and the mailman server access them through something like NFS.

> Any pointers on how postfix fits into this communication are also
> appreciated.  The online docs at list.org for Site Administrators do
> not explain much.
Postfix is used for receiving mail (which is then shunted to Mailman
for processing, as appropriate), and for delivering mail (which is
generated by Mailman, and sent by postfix to list recipients.)
Imagine an arrangements with people: Mailman is responsible for
accepting pieces of paper ("emails") and photocopying them. Postfix
brings Mailman the papers initially, and carries the photocopies away.

> What my client appears to have is a simple diffusion setup.  They use it
> as a means to send info to multiple people.  So members do not
> contribute.
This is fairly standard, and referred to as an 'announce-only' list.

--
- Patrick Bogen