[Mailman-Users] Change moderators and owner password from commandline or email interface

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Feb 7 04:03:48 CET 2007

Cat wrote:

>change_pw  and withlist seems to change only a user's password (but I might
>have missed something there as I'm not fluent in Python()

change_pw changes the list admin password. As written, it doesn't
change the moderator password. See 'bin/change_pw --help'

withlist can change any passwords, but you have to know how to do it in
Python.

The essentials to set either the admin and moderator passwords are

import sha
mlist.password = sha.new('new_admin_pw').hexdigest()
mlist.mod_password = sha.new('new_moderator_pw').hexdigest()

where mlist is the list instance and new_*_pw is the respective new
password.

You could also use the above three lines with appropriate password
values as an input file to bin/config_list.