[Mailman-Users] Challenge/response

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Fri Feb 9 04:02:55 CET 2007

Quoting Brad Knowles (brad at shub-internet.org):
> At 1:40 PM -0800 2/8/07, Bob Morse wrote:
> >                     He would like to set up a challenge/response mechanism
> >  so that when xyz at domain.com posts to the list, xyz at domain.com gets sent a
> >  copy of the message and must confirm that he/she was the sender before it
> >  gets posted. I don't see any configuration in Mailman for this. Is it
> >  possible?
>
> Challenge/response is one of the most vile inventions that has ever
> been applied to the concept of Internet e-mail.  I would violently
> oppose any integration of such features into any project I was
> involved with.

Somebody should integrate PGP signing into Mailman (as an option) so that
you could set it up so when you subscribe to a list you give it your
public key, and you can't post to the list unless the message is PGP
signed by that key.

<rant>
Digital signatures on email is something that is extremely overdue.  PGP
signatures have been grafted on in a half-assed way, but someday either no
mail will travel unless it's been correctly signed or email will disappear
as a viable means of communication because of the spam problem.
</rant>

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
"Belligerent Design: The theory that life was put on this planet by an