[Mailman-Users] Approved: <password>

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Feb 10 02:14:14 CET 2007

Dave Filchak wrote:

>I am trying to post to a one way (announce only) list using a user whose
>moderation bit is set, but am using the method described in the FAQ i.e.
>adding Approved: <password> to the first line of the body, with a
>carriage return and blank line after it. It keeps rejecting it with the
>standard "Sorry, this is an announce only list ...etc etc. Can someone
>tell me if this still works and how and perhaps how I add this to the
>header rather than the body?

Yes, it works. Possible things that might be wrong are:

the password - it must be the list's admin or moderator password;
neither the site password nor a member's password will work, and it
must not have angle brackets around it.

the format of the post - if the post is HTML, the Approved: line in the
body won't work. The Approved: line must be the first non-blank line
in the first text/plain part of the message. If it is, it is removed
from that part and an attempt is made to remove it from all other text
parts of the message, but the removal from other parts is not
guaranteed to work.

In general, if the post is simple plain text, or multipart/alternative
with text/plain and text/html alternatives, the Approved: line will
work and it will usually be removed from both parts of a
multipart/alternative message, but it can be left in the text/html
part under some circumstances.

If the Approved: line is an actual header rather than a body line, it
will always be recognized and removed regardless of the MIME structure
of the message. How to add such a header or if it is even possible
depends on the user agent (mail client) used to compose and send the
mail. You used Thunderbird to send this post. See
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Custom_headers> for information on adding
custom headers with Thunderbird.