[Mailman-Users] Umbrealla list member verification

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Feb 13 01:20:01 CET 2007

Mark Paxton wrote:

>I have an number of umbrella lists that sends to a combination of 3
>subscriber lists.  e.g. U1 sends to S1, S2 and S3, but U2 sends to S1
>and S2 only.
>
>I'd like it so that any member of a subscriber list can send to an
>umbrella list... but I'm hot sure how to do that.  I think the easiest
>way would be to set up the sender filter so that it allows members of
>another list, though I don't know if that's possible.

I think this should be in the FAQ. I'll try to add it soon.

Anyway, you have three issues:

The first is if S1, S2 and S3 have Privacy options...->Recipient
filters->require_explicit_destination = Yes, then the posting address
for U1 needs to be in Privacy options...->Recipient
filters->acceptable_aliases of S1, S2 and S3 and the posting address
for U2 needs to be in Privacy options...->Recipient
filters->acceptable_aliases of S1 and S2.

The second issue is the membership issue you have identified. There is
a patch at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1220144&group_id=103&atid=300103>
that will allow you to put @S1, @S2 and @S3 in Privacy
options...->Sender filters->accept_these_nonmembers of U1 and @S1 and
@S2 in Privacy options...->Sender filters->accept_these_nonmembers of
U2. This will allow any member of S1, S2 or S3 to post to U1 and
similarly for U2. Without this patch, if you want the sublist members
posts to go through to all sublists from the umbrella without being
held, You either have to maintain accept_these_nonmembers of U1 and U2
outside of Mailman (you could do it whith a script run by cron that
massages the output from bin/list_members into an input file for
bin/config_list), or you have to essentially run open lists.

The third issue is when a mumber of S1 posts to U1, her post is held by
S2 and S3. There are two ways to deal with this. if the mm_cfg.py
option USE_ENVELOPE_SENDER is Yes or True, you can add the U1-bounces
address to accept_these_nonmembers of S1, S2 and S3, and similarly for
U2, S1 and S2. In any case, you can add the U1-bounces address as a
member with delivery disabled and password reminders off to S1, S2 and
S3, and similarly for U2, S1 and S2.

Also see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.005.htp>.