[Mailman-Users] Confirmation and sent messages not reaching end-user

Jason Luck jfl1 at duke.edu
Thu Feb 22 22:46:16 CET 2007

- Mailman 2.1.7
- RPM
- Redhat Fedora Linux version 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
- Sendmail

Question: I'm setting up a Mailman system and have hit a roadblock that
looks to deal with sending and receiving messages.

What I know: I've looked through the FAQ and specfically FAQ 3.14, and am
able to get a number of the items requested, but don't know enough to be
able to decipher what the outputs are saying.

I can seemingly create lists...both at the command prompt using newlist
and through the web-interface, but do not receive any confirmation emails
once those lists are created.  Additionally, I subscribed to one of the
lists and tried to send a message to the list and did not receive the
message.  Also, the archives do not show the message.

I've listed below a few of the responses from the outputs of the FAQ and
can provide additional log file info if it will be helpful.

Thanks.

FAQ3.14

3) yes uses smrsh,

grep "smrsh" sendmail.cf

output:
#####  $Id: smrsh.m4,v 8.14 1999/11/18 05:06:23 ca Exp $  #####
Mprog,          P=/usr/sbin/smrsh, F=lsDFMoqeu9, S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL,
R=EnvToL/HdrToL, D=$z:/,
                A=smrsh -c $u

ls -l smrsh

output:
total 4lrwxrwxrwx 1 root mailman 29 Sep 16 05:18 mailman ->
/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman

4) Interface
grep "Port" sendmail.cf
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA
#O ClientPortOptions=Family=inet, Address=0.0.0.0

netstat -na |grep ":25 "

output:
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25                0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN

a bit shady here...

/etc/hosts has nothing in it.

SMTPHOST...in mm_cfg.py...no info on
 DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
     MTA = 'Manual'
     SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
     SMTPPORT = 0               # default from smtplib
     SENDMAIL_CMD = '/usr/lib/sendmail'

5) qrunner is running

6) Locks

Can't find any locks folder under a mailman directory

7) Logs

more post

Feb 21 18:30:00 2007 (6645) post to test from mailman-owner at falconfootball.org, size=1492,
message-id=<mailman.0.1172099747.6557.test @falconfootball.org>, 1 failures