[Mailman-Users] Confirmation and sent messages not reaching end-user

Jason Luck jfl1 at duke.edu
Fri Feb 23 14:46:22 CET 2007

> >SMTPHOST...in mm_cfg.py...no info on
> > DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect'
> >     MTA = 'Manual'
> >     SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
> >     SMTPPORT = 0               # default from smtplib
> >     SENDMAIL_CMD = '/usr/lib/sendmail'
>

> If the above are actually indented, this is bad. They shouldn't be.
>
> Is this from mm_cfg.py or Defaults.py?

Actually the text listed above on SMTP which was in section 4 of 3.14 FAQ
is not listed in my mm_cfg.py...not there at all.  Is this a problem?

> >6) Locks
> >
> >Can't find any locks folder under a mailman directory
>

> It's somewhere? Is there a setting for LOCK_DIR in mm_cfg.py?

There is no setting for LOCK_DIR in the mm_cfg.py.  I perform a locate on
either LOCK or LOCK_DIR and the only LOCK I can find deal with items in an
selinux area.

Within the Mailman directory there is a LockFile.py, LockFile.pyc and
LockFile.pyo

> >7) Logs
> >
> >more post
> >
> >Feb 21 18:30:00 2007 (6645) post to test from mailman-owner at falconfootball.org, size=1492,
> >message-id=<mailman.0.1172099747.6557.test @falconfootball.org>, 1 failures
>

> And most important, what's in the smtp-failure log?

Here is what the smtp-failure log is saying...

more smtp-failure

Feb 21 18:30:00 2007 (6645) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service not known'),
msgid: <mailman.0.1172099747.6557.test at falconfootball.org>

Feb 21 18:30:00 2007 (6645) delivery to mailman-owner at falconfootball.org failed with
code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

Feb 21 18:30:00 2007 (6645) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service not known'),
msgid: <mailman.1.1172099747.6557.test at falconfootball.org>

Feb 21 18:30:00 2007 (6645) delivery to jfl1 at duke.edu failed with code -1:
(-2, 'Name or service not known')

Feb 21 18:30:01 2007 (6645) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service not known'),
msgid: <mailman.0.1172100348.6610.mailman at falconfootball.org>

Feb 21 18:30:01 2007 (6645) delivery to jfl1 at duke.edu failed with code -1:
(-2, 'Name or service not known')

Feb 21 18:45:00 2007 (6645) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service not known'),
msgid: <mailman.0.1172099747.6557.test at falconfootball.org>

Feb 21 18:45:00 2007 (6645) delivery to mailman-owner at falconfootball.org failed with
code -1: (-2, 'Name or service not known')

Feb 21 18:45:00 2007 (6645) Low level smtp error: (-2, 'Name or service not known'),
msgid: <mailman.1.1172099747.6557.test at falconfootball.org>

This goes on and on and on.

To recap...I've created two lists to-date.  mailman and test.  I have not
received confirmation emails about starting either list.  Also, I joined
the list *test* via the web-interface.  I have not as the administrator of
this list been given a notification to approve my acceptance to the list
via the admin pending area.  Also, I sent a message via my business email
to the *test* list and have not received that message and the message is
not showing up in the mailman provided *test* list archive.

As an aside...and I know this is a bit out-there, and I'm not looking for
help on this through this group but will bring it up as it may have some
connection.  I am also unable to view any usage statistics via webalizer
either remotely or from the localhost.  I've checked all of the normal
FAQ/info from lists on this and am continually getting the following.
"Forbidden...You don't have permission to access /usage/ on this server.
... Apache/2.2.0 (Fedora) Server at www.*****.org Port 80"

Now here is why I bring it up...about two years ago when I set both the
site up and mailman lists I (a) had no problem with viewing the usage
characteristics and (b) had no problem with confirmation emails (although
I did have initial issues with remote users getting and receiving emails).
That system went down due to a blown power supply and I've since been
attempting to rebuild.  The new installation of Linux is as listed in the
initial message and it is my understanding that SELINUX sometimes plays
some tricks behind the scenes from a security perspective...could this be
the root of both of my issues?  Just a thought to throw out there.