[Mailman-Users] Confirmation and sent messages not

vancleef at lostwells.net vancleef at lostwells.net
Sat Feb 24 07:31:42 CET 2007

The esteemed Mark Sapiro has said:

> Jason Luck wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the response, unfortunately my limited knowledge on these
> >matters leaves me at a dead end.  Not sure how to change any of these
> >items or where to go from here.
>

> You fix it in your sendmail configuration by telling sendmail to listen
> for port 25 connects from anywhere. I can't tell you how to do that
> because I don't know.
>
> Perhaps you can read some sendmail documentation or ask on a sendmail
> list.

I'll chime in with some quick observations (I run sendmail 8.13.8 on
Solaris 9).

The two first places I'd look are:

1.  The tcp-ip services file (/etc/inet/services on Solaris) needs a
line that says:
smtp     25/tcp      mail

2.  There needs to be a sendmail -bd daemon running.  That is the one
that listens for incoming smtp.

I don't see anything specific to port 25 in the .cf files.

I would also check any router/firewall between your sendmail client
machine to make sure that incoming port 25 traffic is not being
blocked; also any ipfilter setup.

Hank