[Mailman-Users] Confirmation and sent messages not

Jason Luck jfl1 at duke.edu
Sat Feb 24 07:44:13 CET 2007

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 vancleef at lostwells.net wrote:

> The esteemed Mark Sapiro has said:
> >
> > Jason Luck wrote:
> >
> > >Thanks for the response, unfortunately my limited knowledge on these
> > >matters leaves me at a dead end.  Not sure how to change any of these
> > >items or where to go from here.
> >

> > You fix it in your sendmail configuration by telling sendmail to listen
> > for port 25 connects from anywhere. I can't tell you how to do that
> > because I don't know.
> >
> > Perhaps you can read some sendmail documentation or ask on a sendmail
> > list.
> >
> I'll chime in with some quick observations (I run sendmail 8.13.8 on
> Solaris 9).
>
> The two first places I'd look are:
>
> 1.  The tcp-ip services file (/etc/inet/services on Solaris) needs a
> line that says:
> smtp     25/tcp      mail
>
> 2.  There needs to be a sendmail -bd daemon running.  That is the one
> that listens for incoming smtp.
>
> I don't see anything specific to port 25 in the .cf files.
>
> I would also check any router/firewall between your sendmail client
> machine to make sure that incoming port 25 traffic is not being
> blocked; also any ipfilter setup.
>
> Hank

Looks like I have it up and working.  Just received one of my first test
messages all the way through.  I think there were a number of things
wrong, not the least of which was that I had the DaemonPortOptions set for
the loopback and so it was in no way looking for external mail as I
understand it now.  I made the changes listed in some sendmail lists and
although the changes took affect seemingly in the files based on time
stamp changes when I ran netstat I saw no difference in what sendmail was
listening to.  I did all of the restarts on the networking and mailman but
it didn't seem like it was working.

So...I did a full shutdown and restart of the entire system.

And...all is working seemingly.  In fact as I type this message it looks
like two test messages from earlier today have just hit.

Why is the default in DaemonPortOptions set for 127.0.0.1 as opposed to a
broader range?  It would seem most folks would want to be able to external
mail through their box and from what I'm learning would require the
127.0.0.1 to be changed.  Also by changing this...does one open themselve
up to security issues?

Mark and Hank, thanks for all of the help!