[Mailman-Users] Problem posting to Mailman list from Gmail andother addresses.

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jan 9 01:15:57 CET 2007

Aman Singer wrote:

>	I find that I'm not able to post to a specific Mailman list running
>Mailman 2.1B2.

Over 4 years old. Current release is 2.1.9. Is there some reason why
you can't upgrade?

>If I post from an address at Utoronto.ca, using a rogers.com
>SMTP server, everything is fine. If I post from a Gmail address using the
>Gmail SMTP server, I get headers in the message body and messages with no
>subject. I think this might be a problem with the Gmail implementation of
>Domain Keys, but am not sure. I am receiving and sending with Outlook 2003,
>but the choice of mail client sending doesn't seem to matter to the result.

How about the choice of mail client reading the resultant post?

>Below, I have a message sent from the utoronto.ca address and another sent
>from the gmail.com address. Both messages contain the same subject and body
>text, both were sent from the same client and computer, both were sent to
>the same list, and both were received from that list on the same computer
>and client, so the only variable I can think of is the SMTP server used to
>send them. Would anyone know why this is happening?

First message snipped.

>Message from gmail.com address, this message arrived with part of the header
>in the body of the message. That is, it arrived badly. The headers and body
>are separated from each other and the rest of this message by blank lines.
>Otherwise, they are unaltered.
>Headers

<snip>
>        s=beta; d=gmail.com;

The next 4 headers have been inserted along with blank lines in the
middle of the DomainKey-Signature: header. This is presumably because
something inserted a blank line at this point terminating the headers.

>Date: Mon,  8 Jan 2007 23:49:54 +0100 (CET)
>From: msp_mailing-bounces at codefactory.es
>To: undisclosed-recipients:;
>
>Body
>

>h=received:from:to:subject:date:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-e
>ncoding:x-mailer:thread-index:x-mimeole:message-id;
>

>b=AOMwVoy14SDxt+7bDsRLIs+8jijdH406+iCOFHjsjDJPFswngLkUj2cDRsdTouLEt4JvlSn9bj
>G063TFNbGvDAOjOa+L69lJqHZD1M7sflW42hSe66YUZReLbNmYX4SWn8Tvi1hFhg7jBb77bNqyfL
>z2iDbdnvAlG46ARa21cYA=

It is difficult to tell from the 'folding' and 'refolding' what the
original acrtually looked like.

<snip>
>Sender: msp_mailing-bounces at codefactory.es

The above 5 headers were inserted by Mailman immediately before SMTP
delivery. At this point, The headers above had not yet been munged.
Thus, my best guess is that it is some MTA between Mailman and you
that is corrupting the DomainKey-Signature: header.

Judging from the headers

>Received-SPF: neutral (google.com: 217.76.128.98 is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of msp_mailing-bounces at codefactory.es)
>DomainKey-Status: bad format
>	by llla207-a.servidoresdns.net (Postfix) with ESMTP
>	id BD83A2A5ED5; Mon,  8 Jan 2007 23:49:54 +0100 (CET)

and the fact that the added Date: and Message-ID: headers are

>Date: Mon,  8 Jan 2007 23:49:54 +0100 (CET)

(same timestamp and messade-id host name)

I think the Postfix at llla207-a.servidoresdns.net may be responsible
for munging the DomainKey-Signature:, or it may just be the first MTA
that detected it, and llsa730-a01.servidoresdns.net may have done it.