[Mailman-Users] Problems with Subject Generated via Invites

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jan 14 01:55:21 CET 2007

Geoff Deering wrote:

>Thanks for clarifying that Mark.  That's good, but I still think it has
>a basic interface problem if one is not aware of these features and is
>just running a standard mail list.  It can be quite a problem for the
>average moderator.

I agree, but in the case of VERP_CONFIRMATIONS, this is a site setting.
It defaults to No rather than Yes, because that is the 'safer' setting
because some MTA's will not be configured to handle the reply address
with confirmation token appended.

Granted, many people will install Mailman and run it "out of the box"
without reading documentation or exploring site options, but there's
not much we can do about that.

The installation manual suggests that the installer should review
Defaults.py which is extensively commented and make any desired site
changes in mm_cfg.py. If you have any specific suggestions for making
people do this or making the optional features more visible, please
let us know what they are.