[Mailman-Users] Interesting request...

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Jan 20 11:06:23 CET 2007

At 3:22 AM -0600 1/20/07, Rob Poe wrote:

>  AOL has implemented a abuse reporting system.  IF someone who
>  legitimately subscribes to the list (for whatever reason) marks the list
>  traffic as SPAM, AOL will email a report to the server owner (if they
>  sign up) with an abuse report.

Yup.  This is a well-known issue.

>  Not knowing exactly how MailMan handles sending of email (maybe this
>  makes a difference on performance, too) would it be hard to put this
>  piece of data into each message mailed?  Or perhaps as an on/off option?

I suggest you read the FAQ before you do anything else on this subject.

And note that I wrote most of what is in the FAQ on this subject, and
that I am the former Sr. Internet Mail Administrator for AOL.  Their
abuse reporting system was implemented after I left, but I know all
too well just how some of their processes work internally.

>  Perhaps (and this might take more work than is wanted) a userid field in
>  the membership db (this message sent to listname-xx) where xx is the
>  user's id.  Or perhaps just an MD5 hash of the user email address and
>  some sort of util to dump the addresses / hash values into a text file
>  so you can look up who it is who's abusing that kind of thing, so that
>  you can handle their unsubscribe or whatever...

Check out the FAQ entries that discuss "personalization".  Once
you've done that, if there is anything more that you would like to
discuss, this would be a good place to do so.

Co-author of SAGE Booklet #15 "Internet Postmaster: Duties and
Responsibilities"
Founding Member and Platinum Individual Sponsor of LOPSA:
<http://www.lopsa.org>
Papers: <http://tinyurl.com/tj6q4> LinkedIn Profile:
<http://tinyurl.com/y8kpxu>