[Mailman-Users] mailman install problem - Solaris

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jan 23 23:08:43 CET 2007

Piniella, David A wrote:

>Thanks for you help, guys. Actually, I checked the Makefile in
>/usr/local/mailman (my $prefix), and /usr/local/mailman/src/Makefile and
>they both have CC=3D gcc. I have deleted the Makefiles, config.cache &
>config.status, rerun ./configure (my specific options are --prefix,
>--with-cgi-gid, --with-mailhost and --with-urlhost) and re-run make and
>make install. I keep getting the error on make install. For laughs,
>since I saw the Makefile had the full path in the PYTHON=3D line, I put
>the full path to gcc in the CC=3D line, re-ran configure and it still
>fails.

Yeah, I realized the problem after I sent my last reply. The problem is
in the 'make install'. The install target runs the install target of
misc/Makefile which in turn runs install-packages which installs the
email, JapaneseCodecs, and KoreanCodecs packages. This install starts
by unzipping and expanding the .tar.gz files containing the packages
and then running the setup.py file from the package. Part of the
KoreanCodecs package requires compilation of C modules.

I think this is where you and other Solaris users run into difficulty.

I'm not really an expert on this, but perhaps if you put a symlink to
your gcc named cc somewhere on your path before running make install,
this will do it.