[Mailman-Users] questions related to batch creation and managementof several lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jan 29 18:52:49 CET 2007

Mario Filipe wrote:
>Apart from the members and the name, the setup is very similar for all
>of them so I looked at the FAQ and I'm wondering if I can use the answer
> number 4.38 (quoted below) as a solution ?

Yes. Configure one list via the web. Write it's configuration with
'bin/config_list -o'. Remove any list specific stuff - mostly look at
the first 6 items. Use the rest as input to 'bin/config_list -i'.

See 'bin/config_list --help'.

>My other question is related to the way these lists are to be used:
>- they are to be directly addressable, meaning that anyone (not everyone
>we don't need more SPAM) can send a message to them
>- they are also to be used under umbrella lists and here is my problem
>because some people are in more than one of those lists and under the
>umbrella lists they are going to get multiple copies of the messages,
>right? Is there a way to prevent this?

Not with current Mailman. See
for an alternative to umbrella lists.