[Mailman-Users] Moved list, archiving

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Tue Jan 30 13:37:48 CET 2007

Quoting G. Armour Van Horn (vanhorn at whidbey.com):
> After moving the list to it's new home and running the script to update
> the archive, I ended up with a raft of messages in the January 2007
> archive that are probably ancient. They show no subject, and all of them
> are dated this afternoon, probably at the time that I ran the script. Is
> there any safe way to clear those out?

That happened to me when I moved my archives because I had old messages
that had an "unescaped" "From " line in the body.  I guess there was a
time when pipermail didn't put a ">" in front of the word "From " in the
body of a message, and so when I ran "arch" on that mbox I got a lot of
gibberish messages dated today.  The user contributed program "cleanarch"
can help fix up some (but not all) of those and I had to use sed to fix
the rest.  Another problem I ran into were some messages that came around
1 Jan 2000 that had a date of 1 Jan 100.  I also discovered some very old
messages that had a header line of
which confused arch as well.  It wasn't until I fixed all
of these problems that I was able to finally run arch in a way that built
good archives.

--
Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
Don't you just hate them?  Don't you just wanna break their ribs,