[Mailman-Users] question about mail-gid

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Jul 3 18:29:41 CEST 2007

Christopher Adams wrote:

>I have over 500 lists that were migrated a couple of weeks ago to a
>new server. When configuring, I tinkered with the gids until I got it
>to work using mail-gid=mailman and cgi-gid=apache. Lists information
>was moved to the new server. Everything has been working fine.
>
>When I create a new list from the web and try to post to it, I get this message:
>
>Failed (Command died with status 2:
>"/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test7". Command output: Group
>mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
>executed as    group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed
>the mail script as    group "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to
>run the script as group    "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing
>the command line option    `--with-mail-gid)
>
>I look at the ownership of new lists and they are apache mailman. That
>is the only difference I see between new lists and other lists that
>were migrated, which have permissons mailman.mailman. So, I changed
>the ownership of the new lists and tried to post and get the same
>message.

This is not related to the ownership of the lists.

It is also not related to anything in the Apache config.

>I am a bit confused as to whether I need to run configure again, using
>'nobody' as the mail-gid or something else is going on.

Maybe, but if that's all you do, the new lists will work and the old
lists won't.

Is this Postfix? Are the aliases in two different files?

Postfix executes the mail wrapper with the user:group of the owner of
the alias files in which the alias is found.

If aliases are split in two files with different ownership, one set
won't work.