[Mailman-Users] Re-sending digests

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jul 5 23:09:55 CEST 2007

Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

>I couldn't find it, and I couldn't find information in the FAQ or the
>docs, so I suspect the capability is simply not there:  is there any way
>to retrieve or re-create a digest once it has been sent out?

Your suspicion is correct. As posts are processed for the list, they
are accumulated in lists/<listname>/digest.mbox. When a digest is
produced, the digest.mbox file is used as the message source for the
digest, and then it is removed after the digest is produced. Thus,
there is no message source to recreate the digest, nor is there even a
record of what messages were in the digest.

>I have
>subscribers who occasionally miss digests and I'd like to be able to
>re-send them.  Short of subscribing to the digest myself, that is.

Currently, receiving the digests (both MIME and plain) somewhere so
that they can be resent as required would be the most straightforward
way to do this.

OTOH, you could just suggest that the subscriber who misses a digest
just visit the list archive to see what was missed.