[Mailman-Users] Error when sending from an unsubscribed address

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Jul 10 20:27:43 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Simon Helson wrote:
>
>>  I'm trying to send email to a mailman list from an address that
>>  isn't subscribed to the list, The expected behaviour (or the
>>  configured at least) would be for this message to be held for
>>  moderation, however it's not, and I'm getting the following error.
>>  Versions: Python 2.5.1, Mailman is 2.1.9.
>
> IIRC, Python 2.5.x is too new for Mailman 2.1.9.  Try going back to
> the most recent version of Python 2.4.x, and see what happens.

Just as a datapoint, I helped someone on the Fedora list setup mailman
2.1.9 recently.  Fedora 7 uses python 2.5 and AFAICT, doesn't add any
patches to mailman for python 2.5 compatibility.  In some quick
testing, I've not run into any issues (not to say that there aren't
plenty of them lurking).

I just sent a message to a list where generic_nonmember_action is set
to hold and there wasn't any traceback or other error.  Perhaps
there's something else at play?  I wouldn't think the difference
between python 2.5 and 2.5.1 would be enough to cause this (though I'm
far from certain of that).

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the
quality of life, please press three.
    -- Alice Kahn, writer