[Mailman-Users] where is mailman-bounces address defined?

douglas repetto douglas at music.columbia.edu
Thu Jul 19 18:25:50 CEST 2007

Hello,

We've been getting many many strange mailman-bounces. It seems that
somewhere the mailman-bounces address is mis-configured. It should be
mailman-bounces at music.columbia.edu, but mail seems to be sent as
mailman-bounces at music.columbia.ed (note missing "u"). That's causing
bounces to bounce all over the place...in our mail log we get messages like:

Jul 19 12:02:50 roar postfix/smtp[18535]: 9F86883BE24:
to=<mailman-bounces at music.columbia.ed>, relay=none, delay=0,
status=bounced (Host or domain name not found. Name service error for
name=music.columbia.ed type=A: Host not found)

but also:

Jul 19 12:02:54 roar postfix/qmgr[10647]: E969F83BE2C:
from=<mailman-bounces at music.columbia.edu>, size=4419, nrcpt=1 (queue active)

So both the correct address and the incorrect address are being
used...I've poked around in all of our configs and I can't find the
incorrect address anywhere. My suspicion at this point is that there's a
virus somewhere on a users computer that is propagating the incorrect
address and that many of the messages are the result of spoofed mail.
Can anyone help me to understand what's going on? Or suggest where I
might look to see if the mailman-bounces address is in fact
mis-configured? In mm_cfg.py we have:

mm_cfg.py:DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'music.columbia.edu'
mm_cfg.py:DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'music.columbia.edu'

so that seems correct...

thanks,
douglas

--