[Mailman-Users] one click unsubscribe

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jul 20 20:52:01 CEST 2007

Wes wrote:

>I have another way to do it, via the "user specific" options page, and I
>can force the submit and checking of the checkbox, but the problem with
>this option is that there is no email confirmation step, so it opens the
>door to possibly having people unsubscribe other people...(if one
>forwards a list email to someone else)

The other problem is it requires putting the user's list password in
the URL which may expose the password and allow all sorts of changes
to the user's options in addition to unsubscribe.

>I may go this route, as I presume a "goodbye" mail goes out, so if the
>person was inadvertently unsubsubscribed, they will know about it and be
>able to correct the situation...

Yes, a goodbye mail does go out, but consider that users will reply to
posts (assuming this is a discussion list) without removing the footer
and their passwords will be exposed to the entire list plus archive.

It /might/ be workable on an announcement list.