[Mailman-Users] Reg expressions question

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Jul 23 05:41:57 CEST 2007

Dan Lowe wrote:
>On Jul 22, 2007, at 9:08 PM, Jason L wrote:
>> I don't know much about regex but in my subjects I need to match say
>> BLAHBLAHBLAH  and anything after it  I tried BLAHBLAHBLAH* but it
>> doesn't seem to work.
>"*" means "match 0 or more of the previous item". So in this case,
>you are asking to match "BLAHBLAHBLA" followed by 0 or more of "H", e.g.
>You probably want to try: BLAHBLAHBLAH.*
>"." means "anything", so ".*" means "0 or more of anything".

Correct. Don't confuse regexps with globbing. They aren't the same
thing. For Python regexps, see

However, the 'regexp' you used should match, if anything, more than
what you want (i.e., it doesn't require the last character of
BLAHBLAHBLAH), so I suspect there is something else wrong. If you
could explain exactly what you're doing and what you're trying to
accomplish, perhaps we can figure out what that is.