[Mailman-Users] Sanity-checking individual lists for health?

Chris Waltham cwaltham at bowdoin.edu
Tue Jul 24 17:03:52 CEST 2007

Hi folks,

I have been tasked with moving a Mailman 2.0.12 installation from a
Solaris (SPARC) server to a Linux (x86) server. The Linux server will
be receiving a copy of Mailman 2.1.9, so obviously I am making the
2.0.x -> 2.1.x jump in there. Also, on Solaris, Mailman lives in /
home/mailman but on Linux I will be putting it in /blender/mailman
(and thus using move_list to update archives, fix_url, etc.)

What makes this migration slightly tricky is that the server hosts
around 840 lists. Therefore, going through each list pre- and post-
migration by hand would be a little time-consuming for me, so I want
to avoid that where possible :-)I noticed that, when doing a "make
update" when installing 2.1.9, a couple of lists from 2.0.12 failed
the update process and I had to Control-C them for the process to
continue. I'm not sure what the exact problem was, hence I'm
wondering if there is any kind of check that I can run in a FOR loop
to verify a list's integrity. And, yes, I've run check_db and
check_perms and neither report problems, this just seems to be a
handful of lists out of the 800-odd that seem a little flaky.

Thanks,

Chris