[Mailman-Users] Looping Moderator Approval Requests / Mailman&Exim

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Thu Jul 26 16:11:20 CEST 2007

I am having trouble with held posts for the lists I run at Jennic.

We've recently set up Mailman to run in conjunction with Exim and it's
working very well (withlist -r is invaluable though), but we're having
trouble with the moderation because it is ending up in a loop (that
thankfully stops itself after about 30 iterations) but is nonetheless
proving to be a big pain.

When a post is received that is held for moderation, an e-mail is sent
to list-owner, but when that is sent back into mailman for forwarding,
mailman treats the message as if it was going onto the list and holds it
(because of the included message that was originally help). This then
generates another moderation e-mail which is sent to list-owner which is
then held and so on.

I'm not sure if there is a fundamental failure in my understanding of
the system of if there's something I've not thought about, but I cannot
get it to work properly.

I've seen a lot of documentation suggesting that every list should have
10 aliases in the Exim aliases file for piping into mailman, and -owner
is included in these, however I think I am right in saying that that
doesn't apply in this situation because I have configured the Exim
transport/router as directed to pipe all mail into mailman that hasn't
been caught by aliases instead.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

P.S. The main issue here is that we run SpamAssassin on the mailserver
and it adds an X-Spam_Bar header which we then check for in the list
Spam Filters. Before, every single spam e-mail was generating 30
moderator requests.. now we have told the lists to discard anything with
an X-BeenThere: ListName at company, but it doesn't just stop the loop, it
prevents all moderator requests reaching the list owner because in the
end it seems the moderator requests are trying to head for the lists not
the list owners. It's all very confuzzling.
--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com