[Mailman-Users] Looping Moderator Approval Requests / Mailman&Exim

Mike Peachey mike.peachey at jennic.com
Tue Jul 31 13:10:14 CEST 2007

Mike Peachey wrote:
> Mark Sapiro wrote:
>> Mike Peachey wrote:

>>> But surely, that would affect a single separate e-mail sent directly to
>>> list-owner@ ? If I send to that address, delivery succeeds to the
>>> correct recipients.
>>
>> OK. But then why does your email to listname-owner get properly
>> delivered to the owners, but Mailman's mail to listname-owner get
>> delivered to the list?
>>

> I have discovered that the problem lies with the way SpamAssassin is
> implemented, but I'm still not sure of the best way around it.
>
> We use SpamAssassin via Exim's spamd_address directive via a unix
> socket, so every single e-mail that is received by the mail server is
> run through SpamAssassin before it's routed. We then use the Spam
> Filters option in Mailman to filter based on the X-Spam_Bar: header.
>
> The problem is that when Mailman sends a moderator request, it attaches
> the moderated message. Mailman sends this message from it-bounces@ to
> it-owner@ HOWEVER because the original spam message is attached,
> SpamAssassin marks mailman's "moderator approval needed" message as spam
> with the relevant headers.
>
> When this e-mail to it-owner@ is received by Mailman, because it matches
> the spam filter rules for the it@ list, it holds the message and sends
> out another moderator request with both previous messages attached.
>
> This then suggests that we have two options:
> 1. Find a way to stop mailman from attaching the held message to a
> moderator approval request e-mail
> 2. Find a way to reconfigure Exim & SpamAssassin so that all messages
> are passed through SpamAssasin, except those that are routed to Mailman,
> and then use the info available for integrating mailman and SpamAssassin
> to have Mailman call SpamAssassin itself, although this does seem like a
> pretty inefficient way to deal with it because everything will still end
> up going through spamd.
>
> I heartily appreciate any comments on this as I'm a bit stuck with the
> best way to proceed.

Or option 3. find a way to get Mailman to ignore the list Spam Filter
settings for the -owner addresses.
--
Kind Regards,

Mike Peachey, IT
Tel: +44 114 281 2655
Fax: +44 114 281 2951
Jennic Ltd, Furnival Street, Sheffield, S1 4QT, UK
Comp Reg No: 3191371 - Registered In England
http://www.jennic.com