[Mailman-Users] no subscribers

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Jun 8 22:07:27 CEST 2007

Melinda Gilmore wrote:

>Help!   We just had a strange thing happen,  a lists subscribers were all
>removed and no mail was going out.   If there are not subscribers where does
>the mail go?  I have looked in all the logs and it looks like the mail was
>sent.  However, it seems to go into la la land.

If a list has no members, no post is sent. What did you see in what
log? You might have seen a reject of an attempted post.

>User wants to know if the mail is kept somewhere where we can retrieve.  Not
>where that mail is?  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Assuming archiving is enabled for the list, a post will be in the
list's archive. With default archiving settings, a copy of the message
is also in the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file.

If the list is digestable, even if there are no members, the post will
be added to lists/listname/digest.mbox, but this file is deleted when
periodic or size triggered digests are processed, and with no members,
no digest will be sent.