[Mailman-Users] rare problem

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Jun 27 16:31:30 CEST 2007

Jesús Oliván wrote:

>i'm using mailman 2.1.5 on a Solaris box, and i've got a very rare issue...
>
>if i try to post a list using a non-suscribed email address, and this
>email address is included in non-suscribers allowed senders, it accepts
>my post... but if i use a regular expression like this
>^[A-Za-z0-9.\-_%]+@[A-Za-z0-9.-]*mynet.com$ and try to post using a from
>line using more than 30 characters (from line splits in two in mail
>header then) and an accent. Then, mailman doesn't accept this mail and
>return it to me, although this email address is under my.net.com domain.

First, while it is not the issue you are asking about, your regexp is
probably more liberal than you want. I suggest something like

  ^[A-Za-z0-9.\-_%]+@([A-Za-z0-9.-]*\.)?mynet\.com$

to preclude matching things like

   user at xyz.aaamynet.com

and

   user at host.mynetxcom

As far as your question is concerned, the sender address is retrieved
from the From: header using Python email library methods and
functions. If there is a bug there, we'd have to see an exact copy of
the split From: header to check that out.

Also, when your MUA folds the from header into multiple lines, it
should not be folding inside the email address. If by chance, it is,
then it is your MUA that is at fault.

In any case, I don't understand why this would affect only a regexp
match and not a string match. The address that is being checked is the
same in both cases.