[Mailman-Users] Taboo body?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 28 07:31:27 CEST 2007

Brad Knowles wrote:

>On 6/27/07, Mark J. Bradakis wrote:
>
>>  I've poked around a bit in various list related archives, but haven't found
>>  a definitive answer.  Has anyone implemented some sort of add-on, filter
>>  or whatever to give mailman something like the majordomo
>>  'global taboo body' rejection capability?  All the predefined content
>>  filters seem to just pass or delete attachments, and not actually work on
>>  basic message body text.  Will I have to just roll my own?
>
>The spam filters give you the ability to do full-blown Python regular
>expressions, and take any of various different actions on the message
>as a result -- reject, hold for moderation, discard, whatever.
>
>Is that not sufficient?

Probably not. He's asking if anyone has implemented the ability to
match on the message body. The spam filters only match on the headers.

Implementation of a custom handler to take action on a message based on
pattern matches on the message body would not be difficult, but I
don't know if anyone has done it. I have vague recollections of prior
list posts about this, but it seems like Mark has searched the
archives and not found anyone who has done it.

A custom handler could emulate the code in SpamDetect.py, but walk the
message parts and collect the payloads of the text parts instead of
the part headers. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.067.htp>
for information on implementing custom handlers.