[Mailman-Users] No mail and no posts from mailman

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Mar 1 03:41:53 CET 2007

Bob McClure Jr wrote:

>There are no clues in there, so they must have died over a month ago.
>Do I need to put in a cron-driven monitor to check up on the qrunners
>or is there a more sophisticated way to do that?

The RedHat implementation of 'mailmanctl status' (see
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1208685&group_id=103&atid=300103>)
is intended to provide a way to check, but it only checks the master
mailmanctl process. If one or more runners has died in a way that it
won't be restarted, or has reached the restart limit, 'mailmanctl
status' can look OK when things really aren't.

Looking for all the qrunners periodically with a cron is good.
Something else which is good is Brad's daily status report script
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1123383&group_id=103&atid=300103>.
This runs daily at midnight via cron and checks some directories and
looks for various things in logs and mails a report. It requires a
small modification which is attached or it will miss the initial
portion of the day that logs rotate, but it is quite good.

The patch should only be applied if logs are rotated as it assumes the
existance of a '.1' log without checking.