[Mailman-Users] mailman mails are detected as spam

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Mar 15 00:45:12 CET 2007

jetta.view wrote:

>if i send an email with using mailman,
>many recipients don't get this mail, because
>it is detected as spam. e.g. gmx, and 1&1 do this,
>
>how can i prevent this?

Here are some things to consider.

First, this is really a question for the ISPs that are blocking the
mail, preferrably asked by a paying customer asking "why are you
censoring my mail and blocking mail I wish to receive".

Second, If you are trying to diagnose this, it is important to know
whether these ISPs are blocking all mail from your server or just mail
from Mailman. Can you send non-Mailman mail directly from the same MTA
or at least the same IP address that Mailman mail comes from? Does
that mail get blocked? If so, the issue is with your server, not with
Mailman. You can look up your server's IP address at several web sites
to see if it is listed in various spam block lists. Some of these are
<http://openrbl.org/>, <http://www.dnsstuff.com/>,
<http://moensted.dk/spam/> and
<http://www.completewhois.com/rbl_lookup.htm>.

Third, there is a small FAQ you may find helpful at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.042.htp>.