[Mailman-Users] basic postfix/mailman setup issue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Mar 21 05:20:15 CET 2007

Peter wrote:
> Le Mardi 20 Mars 2007 23:53, Mark Sapiro a écrit :
>>
>> What is the group of aliases.db?
>
> $ ls -lh /var/spool/mailman/data/aliases*
> -rw-rw----  1 _mailman  _mailman  10.4K Mar 20
> 23:52 /var/spool/mailman/data/aliases
> -rw-r-----  1 www       _mailman  64.0K Mar 20
> 23:52 /var/spool/mailman/data/aliases.db

Try

chmod 660 /var/spool/mailman/data/aliases.db
chown _mailman /var/spool/mailman/data/aliases.db

>> And what's "_mailman" in the ls output above.
>
> That's the mailman group that the OpenBSD install sets up.  There is also the
> _mailman user.
>
>> And what does your mismatch error say it expected and got?
>
> Command died with status 2:
>     "/usr/local/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request gravitar". Command output:
>     Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be
>     executed as group "_mailman", but the system's mail server executed the
>     mail script as group "www".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
> script
>     as group "_mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line
>     option `--with-mail-gid=www'.

My understanding of Postfix is that it should run the pipe to the
wrapper with the group of the aliases.db file, but my understanding
could well be wrong. Maybe it runs as the user of the file and that
user's group. Thus, I suggest changing the user.

The aliases.db must then be group writable because the web list create
runs as user www (presumably), but group _mailman because the wrappers
are group _mailman and SETGID.