[Mailman-Users] Looking for a Mailman contractor

Barry Finkel b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Mar 28 20:41:09 CEST 2007

On 3/28/07, Barry Finkel <b19141 at britaine.ctd.anl.gov> wrote:
>> If you know the schedule when the web-based file will change, then you
>> can implement something like this.  You could even run such a cron
>> every five minutes, if you do not know when the list might be updated.
>> I have other lists that are built on-the-fly at any time, and the list
>> administrator wants to use them as soon as they are created in AFS.
>> For these, an every-five-minute cron is not good, as I cannot prevent
>> the list being used before it is updated.  I currently have no solution
>> for getting these lists from AFS to the local Mailman machine, as I do
>> not know when any list will be updated.  And I have not figured out how
>> to have the list creator (a live person or a script) send some sort of
>> signal to a root process on the Mailman machine to download the updated
>> list file from AFS.
>> Note that I have tested the script on my test Mailman machine, but I
>> have not yet converted any of these lists from Majordomo to Mailman.

And Patrick Bogen replied:
>Maybe I missed something, but it seems like the best solution for your
>later case would be to use MySQL storage of membership, and have your
>web application write to said MySQL database?

One thing that I did not mention - I can used the shared AFS storage
to retrieve updated list files, but I am not allowed to store any
list information in AFS.  For example, I cannot place the directory
with the list .pck files in AFS.  So, any process that changes an AFS
list file (not on a set schedule) somehow has to signal the Mailman
machine that there is an updated file in AFS to be processed.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov