[Mailman-Users] 2 Different Domains on Same Server - Is thisPossible?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Mar 29 06:20:59 CEST 2007

Brian Oliver wrote:

>I think I can sell the virtual domain capabilities to my client.  Any
>pointers out there to help get me started?  Also, will implementing this
>pose great risk on breaking my existing mailman configurable (meaning
>can I break the entire server by trying to implement this)?

The Mailman part of it is very simple and easily reversed.

In Defaults.py you have

DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'www.example.com'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mail.example.com'

where the domains are yours or ??

There is also a

#####
# Virtual domains
#####

section which you should read and which contains

Those lines may be repeated in mm_cfg.py with the same or different
domain names.

The sole change to Mailman is to add

add_virtualhost('www2.example.com', 'mail2.example.com')

to mm_cfg.py where the actual domain names are those of the second
domain.

You will also need to set up the web server and MTA for the second
domains.

Then you can create lists in the second domain with bin/newlist (see
bin/newlist --help) or by visiting the mailman/create page from the
second domain.