[Mailman-Users] Opinions on domainkeys

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri May 4 06:12:06 CEST 2007

Ivan Van Laningham writes:

 > Has anyone on the list given any thought to it?  Is it a Good Thing(tm)?
 >   Or yet another way for Yahoo to try to dominate the planet?

Yes.  Probably.  Yes, but don't let that stop you.

There have been a couple of threads on this over the past couple of
years, most recently earlier this year.  Search the archives of this
list and mailman-devel for "domainkeys".  There's also a page on it on
Barry's wiki, IIRC.

 > There's a qmail patch available, which is what I'm using, and I wonder
 > if there would be Mailman integration issues?  I assume that an
 > unmodified Mailman installation would ignore the domainkey header.

It doesn't.  It strips them, because some *local* MTAs will refuse
mail from Mailman if there's a stale domainkey header.  Mailman also
changes many posts in certain configurations, enough to break the
domainkey signature.  It was judged at the time that removing the
domainkey header was the most interoperable thing to do, although it
is now known to cause some problems with sites that require a valid
domainkey from certain partners.