[Mailman-Users] Using Mailman with Apache Tomcat

Steve Burling srb at umich.edu
Fri May 4 18:15:35 CEST 2007

--On May 4, 2007 10:42:03 AM -0500 Meenal Pant <mpant at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> I have a server running Liferay using apache tomcat. I access the portal
> as: https://abc.xyz.org/web/guest/home
>
> Can I still install mailman and use it with apache as described in the
> Mailman
> Documentation.(http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/front.
> html) ?
>
> Basically I want to access mailman webserver as :
>
> Will this work or do I have to integrate mailman with Tomcat ? If yes,
> then how to do so?

To which I reply:

I don't think you can do this, at least not easily.  It's possible to have
Apache hand off stuff to Tomcat, but I don't know of a way to do the
opposite.

To do the former, we use Apache 2's mod_proxy_ajp to hand off certain
chunks of the URI space to Tomcat via a ProxyPass declaration in the Apache
config.  You also have to configure Tomcat so that it doesn't listen on
port 80, so that Apache can listen there.  This takes a little fiddling
around with to get working, but not much.  Here's a chunk of our
Tomcat-related part of the Apache config:

------ cut here ------
## Set up mod_proxy_ajp for tomcat integration
ProxyRequests Off

<Proxy *>
  Order deny,allow
  Allow from all
</Proxy>

<Location /xxx>
    ProxyPass ajp://localhost:8009/xxx
</Location>
------ cut here ------

You can have multiple <Location /path> blocks, but for your purposes, it
might be sufficient to just pass off /web.

--
Steve Burling                                    <mailto:srb at umich.edu>
University of Michigan, ICPSR                    Voice: +1 734 615.3779