[Mailman-Users] moderation bit off on explicitly selected users

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri May 4 19:53:13 CEST 2007

Tomas Macek wrote:

>we are using mailman 2.1.5 with Postfix. On our announce-only list we have subscribed all of our employees. This list is fully moderated, so when someone posts, the message waits for approving. That's fine. Now I need to have some users (3 mail addresses) of the subscribes, that can post to the list without moderation and waiting for approving from the moderator. Where can I specify these adresses? I do not use the mailman's web interface.
>
>According to the posts I have found on google, this should be done by modifying the moderation bit on each user, but I cannot find where it could be done in the config file?

It can be done, but it is tricky. You have to call the list method to
do it.

>The config file is the one obtained from the ./config_list -o list.conf MyList.
>When I specify this in
>
>     owner = ['adr1 at ourdomain.cz', 'adr2 at ourdomain.cz', 'adr3 at ourdomain.cz']
>     moderator = ['adr1 at ourdomain.cz', 'adr2 at ourdomain.cz', 'adr3 at ourdomain.cz']
>
>it does not help, the message from adr1 at ourdomain.cz waits for approving.

You made these addresses both owner and moderator which is redundant
and only means that they will receive notices for the owner/moderator.
It has nothing to do with posting. Go to the FAQ wizard
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> and see FAQ's 3.27, 3.45
and 3,60 for more on this.

>I set up this further settings:
>default_member_moderation = True
>member_moderation_action = 0
>generic_nonmember_action = 3
>
>I tried to setup the config like here http://www.modwest.com/help/kb13-195.html, but I think this is the case I have now - any message that came to the list is moderated, without exceptions. But I want these exceptions - some people can post without moderation.

See FAQ 3.11 for our advice on this.

>Can anyone help me? If you want to know any other options I have in the config, let me know please.

Why can't you use the web interface? If you can't use the web
interface, you must be approving posts by email which means you know
how to use the Approved: header. The best way to post to an announce
list is to use the Approved: header with the list password in the
post. If you do this, the post will not be held.

If you allow certain, unmoderated members to post, anyone can post by
spoofing their address. See FAQ 3.11 and 3.34 for more on this.

If you still want to unmoderate a specific user, and you can't use the
web, you can put the following 3 lines in input to config_list.

from Mailman import mm_cfg
mlist.setMemberOption('user at example.com', mm_cfg.Moderate, 0)
del mm_cfg

You can put additional mlist.setMemberOption() lines between the first
one and the "del mm_cfg" line.