[Mailman-Users] Counting messages that went to postfix queue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri May 4 21:10:06 CEST 2007

D G Teed wrote:

>I believe a pattern has emerged with the failure cases.
>
>I grep'ed for each of the 6 who failed in the output
>from dumpdb for the list.
>
>~mailman/bin/dumpdb /var/lib/mailman/lists/mylist/config.pck | grep
>username at domain.ca
>
>Each one of them had a mixed case letter in the username
>before the domain part of the email address.
>
>If my hunch is right, this would be a mailman bug.

Why do you think it is a bug? Mixed case is allowed and may be
significant in the local part of email addresses. If you subscribe an
address with a mixed case local part to a Mailman list, Mailman stores
two addresses - a lower-cased address which is used as the key to
identify the member throught Mailman, and a case-preserved address
which is used as the delivery address. It would be wrong for Mailman
to deliver to the lower-cased address.

>I've seen Postfix deliver email with mixed case
>in the user name no problem.

And it should, but it seems that it may not be in this case, BUT are
you sure Postfix dropped these addresses. Maybe you just didn't see
them in the logs because you were looking for the lower-cased address
and what was logged was the mixed-case address.

If you go back to your original bin/list_members and add a '-p' option
to it, you will get the list of case-preserved addresses that Mailman
actually delivered to and you might find them all in Postfix.

>Mailman does store
>the original version inside the config.pck file,
>as well as the mapped to lower case version.

Yes, as I note above.