[Mailman-Users] Using Mailman with Apache Tomcat

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat May 5 02:59:06 CEST 2007

D G Teed wrote:

>If you are running Tomcat and no apache, then I'd say
>don't bother.  Get the plain apache and install it,
>it will be up and running in minutes rather than days
>to figure out how to make tomcat run plain old HTML
>with a handful of CGIs.  Use the right tool for the job.
>Tomcat is designed to run Java web applications.

Probably good advice, but see below.

>On 5/4/07, Meenal Pant <mpant at ncsa.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I have a server running Liferay using apache tomcat. I access the portal
>> as:
>> https://abc.xyz.org/web/guest/home
>>
>> Can I still install mailman and use it with apache as described in the
>> Mailman
>> Documentation.(
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman-install/front.html)
>> ?
>>
>> Basically I want to access mailman webserver as :
>>
>> Will this work or do I have to integrate mailman with Tomcat ? If yes,
>> then how to do so?

There is problem with the above. If you install Apache for Mailman, you
can't access Apache at https://abc.xyz.org/ because Tomcat is
listening on that https port (443). You will have to

- use a port other than 443 or http (not https) scheme for Mailman or

- use a different domain name/IP address for Mailman or

- if possible arrange for Tomcat to pass https://abc.xyz.org/mailman/
requests to Apache.