[Mailman-Users] an error

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed May 16 03:32:02 CEST 2007

Andrea wrote:

>i installed mailman on a webmail of my job
>and then of create the list mailman, appear the next error
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/sbin/newlist", line 226, in ?
>    main()
>  File "/usr/sbin/newlist", line 208, in main
>    }, mlist=mlist)
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 557, in maketext
>    return findtext(templatefile, dict, raw, lang, mlist)[0]
>  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Utils.py", line 534, in findtext
>    raise IOError(errno.ENOENT, 'No template file found', templatefile)
>IOError: [Errno 2] No template file found: 'newlist.txt'
>
>I have no idea what could be.
>then i run the mailman and seems to be all normal
>anybody knows why is that error?

At best, your Mailman installation is incomplete. The newlist.txt
template which is used to create the 'list created' message could not
be found for the list language in any of the places it might be and
the English language distribution template couldn't be found either.

Does your Mailman installation have a $prefix/templates/ directory with
a number of two-letter and two-letter_two-letter language
subdirectories with 44 or so .txt and .html templates in each?

If you don't have the templates, many other things won't work either.