[Mailman-Users] Looking for professional help

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri May 18 05:37:03 CEST 2007

On 5/17/07, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

>  That's interesting.  I use Plesk, and have not found anything different
>  in my Mailman installation in the Python/HTML and config files other
>  than a different base location than an installed-from-source Mailman
>  would have.  Everything behaves the way I expect, except for the fact
>  that I have to create lists using Plesk, which is not a hardship (and in
>  fact it's easier than my much older previous installation from source).
>
>  Does anyone know whether or not Plesk has made any changes?

I can't say for sure, but I'm not aware of the Plesk folks making any
material changes to the Mailman code.  However. like most binary
packagers I would assume that they store things according to the way
that makes sense to them and not necessarily in the way that you
would get if you were to install our code directly.

So far as I know, the biggest issue with most Plesk/Mailman
installations is the *ancient* versions of Python, Mailman, and other
packages that they install.  I mean, like Mailman 2.0.x.

So, if you want to run a more recent version of Mailman, you'll have
a rough time installing a more recent version of Python that does not
interfere with the existing installation (the older version is also
required for some other things inside of Plesk), plus the newer
version of Mailman with specific references to the newer &
non-standard installation of Python, etc....

You can do it if you know what you're doing, and you're able to
follow all the compatibility dependencies manually, but that's going
to take a lot of work and jury-rigging.  Of course, all of that will
mean that you now have a non-standard installation of Plesk, and you
probably won't be able to get any support from them, or your ISP, and
so on.  Moreover, upgrading to a newer version of Plesk would un-do
all that hard work which you would then have to re-do again manually,
assuming it were actually possible to upgrade Plesk in that kind of
environment.

It's more of a major operational hassle/support nightmare than anything else.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0