[Mailman-Users] Looking for professional help

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri May 18 07:24:30 CEST 2007

On 5/17/07, Ivan Van Laningham wrote:

>  They seem to have improved things.  I get my dedicated server from
>  Godaddy, and it came with the latest version of Plesk, 8.1.0.  Mailman
>  2.1.8, and Python 2.4.3.

Well, Mailman 2.1.8 has security issues, so you'll need to make sure
to update that to 2.1.9.  It would be nice if they'd find out about
these things and do them for you, or stick with an earlier version
which may have been minus some of the newer features but also didn't
have the security holes.

>  I already don't get any support from Godaddy.  They have some FAQs and I
>  can call or email, but their answers are, "Wait until our mail server is
>  back up to speed," or "We don't make you use that software, so we don't
>  support it."

Kinda what I figured.

I guess the bigger issue here is that most people using these kinds
of systems are unlikely to have the skills necessary to be able to
upgrade things under the Plesk hood and still keep Plesk working.

Heck, I've worked on these kinds of systems myself, and since I don't
know how Plesk does a lot of things internally, even I don't know for
sure if I could do that kind of thing -- with reasonable guarantees
that it would all keep working correctly.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0