[Mailman-Users] Unable to Create New Lists

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu May 31 23:15:17 CEST 2007

Phil Fonville wrote:

>I am unable to create new lists with either the web interface or the
>newlist script.  However, I can post to my existing lists, and the posts
>go out to list subscribers.
>
>Failed attempts yield this message:
>
>   Error: Unknown virtual host: bashful at troxlerlabs.local
>

>my mm_cfg.py file contains:
>
>   DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/
>
>   DEFAULT_NNTP_HOST = 'bashful'

This only affects mail <-> news gatewaying

>   DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'bashful'
>
>   DEFAULT_URL_HOST - 'bashful'

All the above host names must be fully qualified - i.e...
'bashful.troxlerlabs.local', not just 'bashful'.

Also, I assume the above '_' instead of '=' is just a typo in your
email.

Finally, it would be good here to remove the Defaults.py
add_virtualhost() entry by inserting

VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

prior to

>   add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
>

>I did run the fix_url script against my existing lists.  I see no
>evidence of problems when I run the check_perms and check_db scripts.
>
>My hostname (physical and virtual [see below]) is
>bashful.troxlerlabs.local

After you fix mm_cfg.py as above, it would be good to run fix_url again.

Also see
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.062.htp>.