[Mailman-Users] postfix + mailman + ubuntu

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Oct 31 16:02:58 CET 2007

Richard Rae wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Here are the details
> root at mailman:~# check_perms -f
> /var/lib/mailman/scripts bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
> /var/lib/mailman/pythonlib bad group (has: root, expected list) (fixing)
<snip>

I gather from your post in the thread "Not able to send and receive
messages posted to a list" that your problem appears to be resolved. If
so, I don't understand. I gather that 'list' is your Mailman user/group.

I don't understand why check_perms can't fix this unless 'list' is not a
registered group. I also don't understand why Mailman works with these
errors unless there are some world (or perhaps owner) permissions that
allow it. See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq06.016.htp>
for a discussion of Mailman's security.