[Mailman-Users] Mailing List - people say their e-mails "neverappear"

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 7 15:11:20 CEST 2007

Patrick M.wrote:

>Please forgive me, as I'm very new to Mailman.  While I know my way
>around Postfix, troubleshooting Mailman is another issue.  I can see
>that e-mail gets sent and delivered to the particular mailing list in
>question, but sometimes people tell me their e-mails never get posted to
>the mailing list.  Other people say they submit their post, and it
>eventually gets there, after 10 or so minutes.
>
>Since I don't know how to troubleshoot Mailman, I can only suspect that
>is has something to do with the NFS, although another part of me is
>telling me that it can't be.
>
>Can you folks push me in the right direction?  What should I be
>troubleshooting?  Is there anything I can provide so that you folks can
>help me troubleshoot further?

Brad has given lots of good advice already in this thread including a
reference to
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.078.htp>.
I want to emphasise that, as the thread seems to be concentrating more
on NFS.

In particular, look at Mailman's 'smtp' log and correlate that with
your MTA logs. Normally, you will see in your MTA log that a post has
been delivered to Mailman at some time and then you will see an entry
Mailman's 'smtp' log  x seconds later which says "<message-id>
smtp for n recips, completed in y seconds". Normally x is only slightly
larger (less than 2 seconds) than y. y is the time for all the SMTP
transactions to deliver the mail to the n list recipients, and y-x is
the sum of the times the message was queued in Mailman's in and out
queues and Mailman's non-SMTP processing time.

Also, are the 'missing' posts in the list's archive? Do the delayed
posts appear in the archive without delay?