[Mailman-Users] Mailman in chrooted OpenBSD

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 8 20:55:52 CEST 2007

Patrick Valencia wrote:

>Ohh... *slaps forehead*  python isn't in the chrooted environment.  But
>wouldn't the cgi executable require python to output the error message?

No. The CGI executable wrapper is a compiled/bound C program (mostly
because SETGID doesn't work with 'scripts'). So the wrapper executes
just fine without Python until it tries to call Python to execute the
driver script.

>Should I just install another copy of python into
>/var/www/usr/local/bin/python?  Do you know much about chrooting
>applications?  This isn't really a mailman issue if that's all it is, but I
>want to be sure that's all it is.

I probably know less than you about chrooting applications. I *think*
that just installing python so it's accessable from the jail will fix
it, but you'll need to rerun configure with the --with-python= option
to point to the right python.

Ideally, you'd run configure chrooted. The whole idea behind autoconf
is it tailors the package to the environment. If configure can find/do
things that the executable package can't find/do because it runs in a
different (chrooted) environment, the whole purpose of configure is
subverted.