[Mailman-Users] List Subscription Error

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed Sep 19 17:00:20 CEST 2007

M. Onur ERGiN wrote:

>I am running a RH9 server with qmail and Mailman v2.1.7.
>
>Lately, Mailman has begun to fail whenever one tries to subscribe to a list, and logs the following error:
>
>Sep 19 16:07:41 2007 admin(3387): /var/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py:905: DeprecationWarning: raising a string exception is deprecated
>  raise Errors.MMSubscribeNeedsConfirmation

This is because you have or upgraded to Python 2.5 which issues the
deprecation warning for string exceptions. This warning will be
supressed in Mailman 2.1.10, but it is only a warning. Other than the
log message, nothing has changed.

>And the subscribe log is this:
>
>Sep 19 16:00:43 2007 (3140) cse331: pending Onur <monurergin-at-yahoo.com>  10.2.12.110

Which means the subscription is pending confirmation by the user who
has been sent an email requesting confirmation. This in turn is
because Privacy options...->Subscription rules->subscribe_policy is
either 'Confirm' or 'Confirm and approve'

>I don't remember I touched anything since it was last working fine. The other functions are fine as far as I observe now. What can be the possible reason for the above error?

Note that Mailman is not failing. It is doing what it is configured to
do. The only 'error' is the deprecation warning from Python 2.5, and
that is just a warning.